Please take a moment to read thru the information below for dates, locations and registration material for Special Olympics Maine’s upcoming Regional Basketball Tournaments.
This year’s sites, dates and times are as follows:
Southern Maine Tourney
Saturday, March 10th @ 9:30 AM
University of Southern Maine at Gorham Campus – Field house
Central Maine Tourney
Wednesday, March 14th @ 9:30 AM
University of Maine at Orono -Field house
Registration Deadline February 23rd, 2018
Events being offered at each competition are as follows:
Individual Skills Contests (new event options) – athletes registering for Individual Skills Contest can only register for 1 of the 3 Levels below.
Level I – Speed Dribble
Level II – Target Pass, 10 Meter Dribble & Shot Shot
Level III – 12 Meter Dribble, Perimeter Shooting and Catch & Pass
Team Skills Basketball (this event provides meaningful competition for athletes with lower ability levels.)
5v5 Unified High School and Unified Adult Age Competitions
– Unified Competitions will follow the Player Development Model. Each 5-on-5 team must submit a BSAT score. Refer to the SOMaine Basketball Rules & Regulations
to determine a team’s BSAT score.
Again this year, we will offer Individual Skills Contests (Level I, II or III). Athletes competing in Individual Skills Contest or Team Skills Basketball cannot participate in 5-on-5 Team Competition. It is the intent of Special Olympics Maine to have as many athletes as possible involved in 5-on-5 team play. The Individual Skills Contests will be available to athletes who are working to build the skills necessary to compete in 5-on-5 play. The Individual Skills Contests are also available to schools/agencies that do not have enough players to form a team. Any questions, please call the SOME office.
Rules and Events
– The SOMaine Basketball Rules & Regulations have recently been updated. Please review and share. You can find the rules and setup information on the new Individual Skills Contest Events within these SOMaine Basketball Rules & Regulations. Click here to review the SOMaine Basketball Rules & Regulations.
New This Year! All Winter Games registration forms are Google Forms (much like the Winter Games Quota Application). This will allow you to complete each registration form electronically with just a click of a button! Once you have submitted a registration form you will receive an email confirmation.
Coach Education Policy:
ALL registered coaches (Head of Delegation, Head Coaches & Assistant Coaches) must have a current certification for the following; Class A Volunteer Screening, Protective Behaviors Course and Concussion Awareness and Safety Recognition Course. You can find these documents/links on our website at www.somaine.org/sports/coachs-corner/become-a-coach/
. If not already completed, they MUST be completed by February 17th.
Head of Delegation: This person is responsible for the entire delegation including; athletes, head coaches and assistant coaches. This person will send and receive pertinent information to and from Special Olympics Maine regarding; registration forms, athlete unified partner and coach requirements.
Head Coach Requirements
: Every delegation must assign one certified head coach for every sport that they have athletes competing in. This person is responsible for the entire sports team including; athletes, unified partners and assistant coaches. Head coaches will be the liaison between their sports team and SOME. For Delegations with more than 1 Team you MUST have a Certified Head Coach for each Team (2 Teams = 2 Head Coaches) If you have questions regarding this policy, call Ian Frank at 879-0489 or email at IanF@somaine.org
Need to become a certified Head Basketball Head?
Special Olympics Maine will be hosting a basketball coach’s training school on Wednesday February 21st, 2018 at Reeds Brook Middle School in Hampden from 4-6pm. To register for the Basketball coach’s training school click here.
: Anyone registered with your delegation that is not an SO Athlete, Unified Partner, Head of Delegation or Head Coach. Assistant Coaches will include any other support staff or chaperones. They must have completed the minimum coaching requirements in the SOME Coach Education Policy. This can be found on our website at www.somaine.org/sports/coachs-corner/become-a-coach/
Medicals & Consent Forms: ALL Athletes must have current medical & consent forms on file at Special Olympics Maine’s State Office. It is your responsibility to insure that these (2) (current/completed) forms are on file here at our office, for every athlete you plan to bring to the games. If we already have a medical on file for an athlete and it is less than three years old, you don’t need a new one, unless there has been a significant physical/medical change in one of your athletes. You may email Mark, MarkC@somaine.org, to check on medicals in your file. We recommend that you make two copies of each medical/release form – keep one file of all medicals in a safe place and have a file with all your athletes’ medicals that travels with you to events. Blank Medical and Consent Forms can be downloaded by going to our website: www.somaine.org/sports/athlete-resources/.
Uniforms & Proper Attire: Athletic wear (no jeans) and matching uniforms is highly Sneakers are a must! Non-marking sole sneakers only!
Directions for Completing the
2018 Regional Basketball Tournaments Registration Forms
(Deadline for ALL forms is February 23rd, 2018)
Registration: All Basketball registration forms are Google Forms (much like the Winter Games). This will allow you to complete each registration form electronically with just a click of a button! Once you have submitted a registration form you will receive an email confirmation. We understand that this is a new process and at any time if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact our office. Each Delegation must submit the Basketball Delegation Registration and at least 1 event registration (individual skills, team skills and/or team 5-on-5)
- Basketball Delegation Registration Form – completed by the Head of Delegation (HOD – person responsible for your team). You will need the following information to complete this process:
- HOD Contact Information
- Assistant coach names (this is anyone that will be registering with your Delegation that is not an athlete, unified partner, HOD or Head Coach)
- Basketball Individual Skills Contest Registration – only complete for athletes competing in Individual Skills Contest (Level I, II or III). You will need the following information to complete this process:
- HOD Name & Email
- Head Basketball Coach Name & Email
- Individual Skills Contest Athlete name, date of birth, gender and individual contest level
- Basketball Team Skills Contest Registration – only complete for teams competing in Team Skills Contest. If your Delegation has more than 1 Team Skills Team to register you will be required to complete this form for the number of teams you are registering. You will need the following information to complete this process:
- HOD Name & Email
- Head Basketball Coach Name & Email
- Team Name (Unique to this team)
- Team Member name, date of birth and gender
- Basketball 5-on-5 Traditional & Unified Team Competition Registration – only complete for teams competing in Traditional or Unified Basketball 5-on-5 team play. If your Delegation has more than 1 team to register you will be required to complete this form for the number of teams you are registering. You will need the following information to complete this process:
- Don’t miss the deadline (February 23rd, 2018).
If you have questions about Special Olympics Basketball, the enclosed information, or the regional tournaments, don’t hesitate to call us at 879-0489.