2019 Summer Games
June 7-9, 2019
University of Maine
Special Olympics Maine is hosting its 50th Summer Games! Come celebrate with us!
HELP US TO LOOK BACK AT THE HISTORY OF SPECIAL OLYMPICS MAINE.
Athletes competing in Athletics (Track & Field) Outside Events can register for up to 3 Athletics events & the 4x100M Relay. See event registration parameters below:
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in any Athletics Inside Events
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both the 100M & 100M Walk
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both Softball Throw & Shot Put
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both Running Long Jump & Standing Long Jump
- Athletes entering the Running Long Jump must have a minimum qualifying score of 1 meter
- Athletes competing in the 50M Dash MAY ONLY enter into 100M or 100M Walk plus Field Events
- Athletes competing in the 400M, 800M and/or Relay MAY NOT enter Bocce or Unified Bocce
Athletes competing in Athletics (Track & Field) Inside Events (10M Assisted & 25M Walk, Wheelchair events and Inside Soft Ball) can register for up to 3 Athletics events. See event registration parameters below:
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in any Athletics – Outside events
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both walks & wheelchair events
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both motorized and non-motorized wheelchair events
- Athletes using wheelchairs shall Not be pushed, pulled or otherwise assisted during these events
- 25M walkers CAN register for the 100M Walk
2 Softball Throw events offered, and your athlete may enter only 1. The “INSIDE” Softball Throw is designed only for athletes entering either wheelchair or developmental walks (10M & 25M walks), inside the Alfond Arena, where the wheelchair and developmental walks take place at 11:00 am. All other Softball competitors should enter the OUTSIDE Softball Throw event.
Wheelchair Events: Will take place in Alfond Arena, starting at 9:00 am. In accordance with the Official S.O. Summer Sports Rules/Athletics: #4 General Rules for Wheelchair Events; rule C-5 states: “Athletes shall not be pushed, pulled or otherwise assisted during these events.” This rule pertains to ANY wheelchair event list, manual or motorized, and this will be strictly enforced to maintain fairness (and safety) for all athletes!
All Events must be submitted with qualifying scores.
- Start times:
- Traditional 9am
- Unified 11:30am
- Athletes can ONLY complete in Bocce or Unified Bocce, not both.
- Unified Bocce Teams must consist of 2 athletes & 2 unified partners
- All teams are required to submit qualifying scores.
- Bocce athletes CANNOT compete in 400M, 800M & Mile Run
- New start times this year, 9:00AM Traditional and 11:30AM
- “Fun Fitness” – Physical Therapist will be on hand to check athletes’ physical fitness health.
- “Special Smiles” – Dentists will be on site to check the athletes’ teeth.
- “Healthy Hearing” – Audiologists will give athletes hearing screenings.
- Plan “A” – $80.00
- 2 Overnights – Friday & Saturday
- Meals – supper Friday PM, breakfast Saturday AM, lunch Saturday Noon, Dinner Saturday PM & breakfast Sunday AM.
- Plan “B” – $40.00
- 1 Overnight – Either Friday or Saturday night
- 1 breakfast Saturday or Sunday
- Supper Friday or Saturday night Dinner
- Saturday’s lunch
- Plan “C” – $10.00
- No overnight
- Saturday Lunch only
- Athlete Housing Policy: Per a mandate from Special Olympics Inc., the Special Olympics Maine Board of Directors has recently adopted a statewide housing policy. This housing policy is in effect immediately, and covers housing requirements (and best practices) for any overnight situation in conjunction with any and all SOME events at the State, Area & Local Levels This policy can be found on the SOME website by clickinghere. Special Olympics Maine requires that ALL SOME coaches and chaperones become familiar with this policy.
- Athletes: All athletes must have participated in a 2019 Area Track and Field event to qualify for the State Summer Games. To find out the date/location of your Area’s Track & Field event, go to our website at www.somaine.org/who-we-are/find-special-olympics-near-you/.
- Head of Delegation (HOD): This person is responsible for the entire delegation including; athletes, unified partners, head coaches and assistant coaches. This person will send and receive pertinent information to and from Special Olympics Maine regarding; registration forms, athlete unified partner and coach requirements.
- Head Coach: Every delegation must assign one certified head coach for every sport that they have athletes competing in. This person is responsible for the entire sports team including; athletes, unified partners and assistant coaches. Head coaches will be the liaison between their sports team and SOME. If you have a team competing in any Unified Sports event your head coach must be certified in Level 2 Coaching Unified Sports. Head Coaches must be certified through Special Olympics Maine in their assigned sport. To become a certified Head Coach, a Coach must attend a Coach’s Training School in the sport(s) they coach. A list of Coach’s Training Schools can be found at, www.somaine.org/events/coachs-training-schools/
- Assistant Coaches: Anyone with your delegation who is not registering as an SO Athlete, Unified Partner, Head of Delegation or Head Coach. Assistant Coaches will include any other support staff or chaperones.
- Unified Partners: any one registering to participate in Unified Sports as a Unified Partners
2019 Summer Games Registration Information
Delegation Registration Form – You will need the following information to complete Delegation Registration process:
- HOD Contact Information
- Certified Head Coach contact information for each sport your Delegation competes in (Athletics, Bocce &/or Candlepin Bowling).
- Assistant coach names (this is anyone that will be registering with your Delegation that is not an athlete, unified partner, HOD or Head Coach)
- Summer Games Registration Packages (provide number, by gender and role, of Delegation members registering in each Plan)
- Plan A – $80 per person: includes 2 overnight accommodations and all meals (Friday Dinner – Sunday Breakfast)
- Plan B – $40 per person: includes 1 overnight accommodation and meals (Saturday’s Lunch, 1 Dinner & 1 Breakfast)
- Plan C – $10 per person: includes lunch Saturday, no overnight accommodation
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games Delegation Registration
Athletics (Track & Field) Athlete Registration Form – (this is for both inside and outside Track & Field Events). You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
- HOD Email
- Athletics (Track & Field) Head Coach Email
- Athlete: Gender, Date of Birth, Events and Qualifying Scores
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games Athletics (Track & Field) Athlete Registration
Athletics 4x100M Relay Registration Form – You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
- HOD Email
- Athletics Head Coach Email
- Unique Team Relay Name, Relay Team Members, Leg assignment and Team Qualifying Score
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games 4x100M Relay Team Registration
Bocce (Traditional & Unified) Registration Form -You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
- HOD Email
- Bocce Head Coach Email
- Unique Team Name, Team Members and Team Qualifying Score
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games Bocce Team Registration
Candlepin Bowling Singles Registration Form – You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
- HOD Email
- Candlepin Bowling Head Coach Email
- Athlete Name & Event
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games Candlepin Bowling Individual Event Registration
Candlepin Bowling Team Registration Form (Traditional & Unified) – You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
- HOD Email
- Candlepin Bowling Head Coach Email
- Unique Team Name & Team Members
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games Candlepin Team Registration
Summer Games Raffle Ticket Request Form
Family Housing Request Form – please send to parents/guardians of athletes.
National Anthem Audition – SOMaine is accepting National Anthem audition videos for Delegation to submit to be in the running to sing the National Anthem during the Opening Ceremonies. Audition videos will be accepted until Friday May 17th and can be emailed to LisaB@somaine.org or texted to 207-839-5578. Click here for more information.
- Don’t miss the deadline (May 15th) we cannot guarantee beds after that date.
- You MUST provide times & distances when required, or we cannot place athletes in the events selected.
- Distances MUST be recorded in METRIC measurements, NOT feet and inches!!!!!
- Questions??? Please call us at 879-0489!
2019 Summer Games Commemorative T-shirt
- Costs per t-shirts are as follows:
- Small – XL – $10 per T-shirt
- 2XL – 4XL – $12 per T-shirt
- T-shirts will come in three color choices (Blue, Grey & Red) and are offered only in Men sizes. There will be no exchanges for sizes at the Summer Games so make sure to confirm sizes with all Delegation members ordering a t-shirt. T-shirts can be paid for in advance or at the Summer Games.
- T-Shirts will be available for pick up at Summer Games Check-in.
- The 2019 Commemorative Summer Games T-shirt will not be sold at the Summer Games so reserve your Delegation’s order today! Deadline to order is May 21st, 2019.
- Click here to submit a Summer Games Commemorative T-shirt order