2019 Summer Games
June 7-9, 2019
University of Maine
Special Olympics Maine is hosting its 50th Summer Games! Come celebrate with us!
HELP US TO LOOK BACK AT THE HISTORY OF SPECIAL OLYMPICS MAINE.
DO YOU HAVE PICTURES FROM THE “OLDEN DAYS”? Preferably photos from 1999 or earlier. Bonus Points for pics from the very first Summer Games in Portland or Winter Games in Gorham! Help us to look back over the past 50 years. It will be fun to see the old uniforms, hairstyles, signage, set up, awards stands, venues, etc.
STORIES – Have you attended 40 or more State Summer Games events? Did you attend the first Summer Games in Portland or the first Winter Games in Gorham? We want to hear about your experiences.
Important Summer Games Information Below:
Summer Games Schedules (tentative):
Sports Offered: Athletics (Track & Field), Bocce and/or Candlepin Bowling. Each sport offers both traditional and unified sports events. Sport Rules & Regulations can be found by going to each sport specific link below:
Athletes competing in Athletics (Track & Field) Outside Events can register for up to 3 Athletics events & the 4x100M Relay. See event registration parameters below:
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in any Athletics Inside Events
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both the 100M & 100M Walk
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both Softball Throw & Shot Put
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both Running Long Jump & Standing Long Jump
- Athletes entering the Running Long Jump must have a minimum qualifying score of 1 meter
- Athletes competing in the 50M Dash MAY ONLY enter into 100M or 100M Walk plus Field Events
- Athletes competing in the 400M, 800M and/or Relay MAY NOT enter Bocce or Unified Bocce
Athletes competing in Athletics (Track & Field) Inside Events (10M Assisted & 25M Walk, Wheelchair events and Inside Soft Ball) can register for up to 3 Athletics events. See event registration parameters below:
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in any Athletics – Outside events
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both walks & wheelchair events
- Athletes MAY NOT enter in both motorized and non-motorized wheelchair events
- Athletes using wheelchairs shall Not be pushed, pulled or otherwise assisted during these events
- 25M walkers CAN register for the 100M Walk
2 Softball Throw events offered, and your athlete may enter only 1. The “INSIDE” Softball Throw is designed only for athletes entering either wheelchair or developmental walks (10M & 25M walks), inside the Alfond Arena, where the wheelchair and developmental walks take place at 11:00 am. All other Softball competitors should enter the OUTSIDE Softball Throw event.
Wheelchair Events: Will take place in Alfond Arena, starting at 9:00 am. In accordance with the Official S.O. Summer Sports Rules/Athletics: #4 General Rules for Wheelchair Events; rule C-5 states: “Athletes shall not be pushed, pulled or otherwise assisted during these events.” This rule pertains to ANY wheelchair event list, manual or motorized, and this will be strictly enforced to maintain fairness (and safety) for all athletes!
All Events must be submitted with qualifying scores.
Bocce: 4-person teams
- Start times:
- Traditional 9am
- Unified 11:30am
- Athletes can ONLY complete in Bocce or Unified Bocce, not both.
- Unified Bocce Teams must consist of 2 athletes & 2 unified partners
- All teams are required to submit qualifying scores.
- Bocce athletes CANNOT compete in 400M, 800M & Mile Run
- New start times this year, 9:00AM Traditional and 11:30AM
Candlepin Bowling: Athletes can choose either traditional Bowling or the Unified event, but not both. Teams located within the thirty-mile radius of Bangor are asked to bowl on Thursday June 6.
Unified Champion Schools®
will be offering two Unified Sport opportunities. Existing Unified Champion School ® Schools and/or new schools are encouraged to participate in either Unified Bocce or Unified Bowling – not both as well as Unified 4x100M Relay. If you are a school not yet involved in Unified Champion Schools®, and you would like more information, contact Ian Frank at IanF@somaine.org
Healthy Athletes: We will once again offer professional screenings to athletes on Saturday during the games, free of charge. Screenings this year will include:
- “Fun Fitness” – Physical Therapist will be on hand to check athletes’ physical fitness health.
- “Special Smiles” – Dentists will be on site to check the athletes’ teeth.
- “Healthy Hearing” – Audiologists will give athletes hearing screenings.
Parade Theme: “Team Spirit” – come ready to march in your athletic wear or team uniform and represent your team well by showing your team spirit! Please do NOT dress in dance theme, or you will be disqualified for the Arthur Ambrose Spirit Award. Parade will start at 5:00pm on Friday June 7th.
Dance Theme: 1969 – Please plan to attend this years summer games dance in your best 1969 attire. Please keep in mind that this theme is for the DANCE ONLY- not for the parade.
– Contact Lauren Lessard , email@example.com
or 207-879-0489, if you would like to be a 2019 Summer Games Volunteer.
Summer Games Delegation Registration Packages: Delegations must register for one, or more, of the packages below:
- Plan “A” – $80.00
- 2 Overnights – Friday & Saturday
- Meals – supper Friday PM, breakfast Saturday AM, lunch Saturday Noon, Dinner Saturday PM & breakfast Sunday AM.
- Plan “B” – $40.00
- 1 Overnight – Either Friday or Saturday night
- 1 breakfast Saturday or Sunday
- Supper Friday or Saturday night Dinner
- Saturday’s lunch
- Plan “C” – $10.00
- No overnight
- Saturday Lunch only
Summer Games Housing Accommodations: all Delegations members registering for Plan A or B will be housed in the University of Maine dormitories.
- Athlete Housing Policy: Per a mandate from Special Olympics Inc., the Special Olympics Maine Board of Directors has recently adopted a statewide housing policy. This housing policy is in effect immediately, and covers housing requirements (and best practices) for any overnight situation in conjunction with any and all SOME events at the State, Area & Local Levels This policy can be found on the SOME website by clickinghere. Special Olympics Maine requires that ALL SOME coaches and chaperones become familiar with this policy.
ALL registered coaches (Head of Delegation, Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches & Unified Partners) must have a current SOMaine Volunteer Registration Packet (Class A Volunteer Screening, Protective Behaviors Course and Concussion Awareness and Safety Recognition Course)on file prior to May 15th in order to properly register for the 2019 Summer Games. Each of these three requirements remain current for three years. You can find these documents/links in the SOMaine Volunteer Registration Packet
All Athletes must have a current Athlete Medical and Release on file with SOMaine prior to May 15th in order to be properly registered for the 2019 Summer Games. The Athlete Medical and Release can be found in the SOMaine Athlete Registration Packet
. Medicals remain current for three years and the release is good forever (or until updated).
- Athletes: All athletes must have participated in a 2019 Area Track and Field event to qualify for the State Summer Games. To find out the date/location of your Area’s Track & Field event, go to our website at www.somaine.org/who-we-are/find-special-olympics-near-you/.
- Head of Delegation (HOD): This person is responsible for the entire delegation including; athletes, unified partners, head coaches and assistant coaches. This person will send and receive pertinent information to and from Special Olympics Maine regarding; registration forms, athlete unified partner and coach requirements.
- Head Coach: Every delegation must assign one certified head coach for every sport that they have athletes competing in. This person is responsible for the entire sports team including; athletes, unified partners and assistant coaches. Head coaches will be the liaison between their sports team and SOME. If you have a team competing in any Unified Sports event your head coach must be certified in Level 2 Coaching Unified Sports. Head Coaches must be certified through Special Olympics Maine in their assigned sport. To become a certified Head Coach, a Coach must attend a Coach’s Training School in the sport(s) they coach. A list of Coach’s Training Schools can be found at, www.somaine.org/events/coachs-training-schools/
- Assistant Coaches: Anyone with your delegation who is not registering as an SO Athlete, Unified Partner, Head of Delegation or Head Coach. Assistant Coaches will include any other support staff or chaperones.
- Unified Partners: any one registering to participate in Unified Sports as a Unified Partners
2019 Summer Games Registration Information
Follow the steps below to complete the Summer Games Forms
(Registration DEADLINE is May 15th! – NO Exceptions!!!)
Registration: All State Summer Registration forms are Google Forms (much like the Winter Games). This will allow you to complete each registration form electronically with just a click of a button! At anytime during registration process you can always select the “Back” button (bottom of the form, to the left of the “Next” button) to go back and review/edit the data that you completed prior to your current section. Once this form is completed entirely and submitted (click “Submit” on the last section) the HOD & the Head Coach will receive an email (to the emails provided) with a PDF confirmation of you what was submitted. Changes to Delegation can be made up until 2 weeks prior to the State Summer Games however, the sooner the better! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact our office.
Each group MUST complete the following forms:(Click on the links below to each registration form)
Delegation Registration Form – You will need the following information to complete Delegation Registration process:
- HOD Contact Information
- Certified Head Coach contact information for each sport your Delegation competes in (Athletics, Bocce &/or Candlepin Bowling).
- Assistant coach names (this is anyone that will be registering with your Delegation that is not an athlete, unified partner, HOD or Head Coach)
- Summer Games Registration Packages (provide number, by gender and role, of Delegation members registering in each Plan)
- Plan A – $80 per person: includes 2 overnight accommodations and all meals (Friday Dinner – Sunday Breakfast)
- Plan B – $40 per person: includes 1 overnight accommodation and meals (Saturday’s Lunch, 1 Dinner & 1 Breakfast)
- Plan C – $10 per person: includes lunch Saturday, no overnight accommodation
- Click here to complete the 2019 State Summer Games Delegation Registration
Additional Registration Forms – use as needed:
Athletics (Track & Field) Athlete Registration Form – (this is for both inside and outside Track & Field Events). You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
Athletics 4x100M Relay Registration Form – You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
Bocce (Traditional & Unified) Registration Form -You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
Candlepin Bowling Singles Registration Form – You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
Candlepin Bowling Team Registration Form (Traditional & Unified) – You will need the following information to complete this registration process:
Summer Games Raffle Ticket Request Form
Family Housing Request Form – please send to parents/guardians of athletes.
National Anthem Audition – SOMaine is accepting National Anthem audition videos for Delegation to submit to be in the running to sing the National Anthem during the Opening Ceremonies. Audition videos will be accepted until Friday May 17th and can be emailed to LisaB@somaine.org or texted to 207-839-5578. Click here for more information.
- Don’t miss the deadline (May 15th) we cannot guarantee beds after that date.
- You MUST provide times & distances when required, or we cannot place athletes in the events selected.
- Distances MUST be recorded in METRIC measurements, NOT feet and inches!!!!!
- Questions??? Please call us at 879-0489!
2019 Summer Games Commemorative T-shirt
2019 Summer Games Commemorative T-shirts – Special Olympics Maine will offer a Commemorative 2019 Summer Games T-shirt to Summer Games Delegations only!
- Costs per t-shirts are as follows:
- Small – XL – $10 per T-shirt
- 2XL – 4XL – $12 per T-shirt
- T-shirts will come in three color choices (Blue, Grey & Red) and are offered only in Men sizes. There will be no exchanges for sizes at the Summer Games so make sure to confirm sizes with all Delegation members ordering a t-shirt. T-shirts can be paid for in advance or at the Summer Games.
- T-Shirts will be available for pick up at Summer Games Check-in.
- The 2019 Commemorative Summer Games T-shirt will not be sold at the Summer Games so reserve your Delegation’s order today! Deadline to order is May 21st, 2019.
- Click here to submit a Summer Games Commemorative T-shirt order