- This event has passed.
Big Chill Plunge
March 14, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
This event has been postponed (date to be determined) due to COVID-19. For more information click here
Special Olympics Maine is hosting its fourth annual Big Chill Unified Schools Plunge in Maranacook Lake in Winthrop on Saturday March 14th, 2020 hosted by American Legion Post #40. This plunge is specific for students and is a great way to engage students to help fundraising for their school’s UCS programs. The proceeds of the Big Chill will benefit Special Olympics Maine’s Unified Champion Schools programs along with 30% of a school’s total fundraising efforts going directly back to the school to help fund current and future Unified Champion Schools’ initiatives. Come join the fun and show your school spirit while supporting a great cause! Participants are required to raise a MINIMUM of $75.00 and will receive the official commemorative Big Chill Unified School Plunge t-shirt. Additional incentives and prizes are available based on additional monies raised. (See Incentives below.)
Here are the Specifics for the 4th Annual 2020 Event:
- What: 4th Annual Big Chill Unified School Plunge –to benefit Special Olympics Maine Unified Champion Schools Program
- When: Saturday March 14th, 2020 10am sharp to plunge!
- Where: Winthrop Town Beach at Maranacook Lake (Registration will be held that morning from 8:30 – 9:45 am at American Legion Post 40, 117 Bowdoin St, Winthrop)
- Pre-Plunge Pancake Breakfast: All participants will enjoy a Pancake breakfast prior to their plunge ($10/per non-plunger)
- Plunge Theme: “Hawaiian” – participants are encouraged to show their school spirit. The school showcasing the most school spirit will be recognized after the Plunge.
Here’s How to Participate:
Raise a MINIMUM of $75 and register properly (additional incentives & prizes apply). The day of the plunge all participants must also properly register in order to participate which includes turning in money raised at check-in, along with a signed release form (enclosed in this packet). Plungers will then receive a plunge “bracelet” and a commemorative t-shirt. NOTE: Additional incentives will apply for additional funds raised (see additional info enclosed). GRAND PRIZES will also be awarded for the top individual and top school fundraising totals (certain requirements apply)
2 Steps to Register Properly
- Step 1 – Setup a Personal Fundraising Page:
- Go to https://www.firstgiving.com/event/SOME/2020-BIG-CHILL-UCS-PLUNGE
- Click Join Now!
- Start Fundraising!
- Step 2 – Check-In – All dippers must check-in prior to participating in the Big Chill Plunge
2020 Plunge Incentives & Prizes: (Based on total funds turned in prior to Plunge)
- Each Participant that raises a minimum of $75 will receive a commemorative Big Chill Plunge T-shirt.
- Any Participant that raises a minimum of $250 will receive a commemorative Big Chill Sweatshirt
- Top “Big Chill” Participant– top individual fundraiser raising over $500 will receive a $50 Gift card.
- Top “Big Chill School”– top fundraising school raising over $1,000 will receive an additional 10% of all funds raised by their students!”
- Top “Big Chill School” Spirit Award – schools with the most school spirit will be recognized after the plunge.
Helpful Tips to Plungers:
- Plan to arrive early to park and register.
- Bring something to wear on your feet when entering the water (water shoes/old sneakers).
- Also bring a beach towel, blanket, bathrobe for when you exit the water. – Don’t forget to bring your funds raised and your Firstgiving page (total raised printout) to registration.
For more information visit, www.somaine.org/programs/unified-champion-schools/big-chill-plunge/