- This event has passed.
Penobscot/Piscataquis/Hancock Area Winter Games
February 7, 2022 - February 8, 2022
2022 Special Olympics Penobscot/Piscataquis/Hancock Area Winter Games
This event will be in person at Hermon Mountain and Sawyer Arena! We are happy to be back even if some things will be a little different. To comply with the Special Olympics Return to Play (R2P) protocols for our current area risk category we will be spacing out teams during the two days of competition. Qualifying scores are required and athletes will compete in a final race at the mountain or Sawyer. We will try to accommodate day and time preference however your flexibility is appreciated. (Competition times will be assigned after all registrations are reviewed.)
Dates & Times:
- Snowshoe: Monday 2/7 & Tuesday 2/8, 10am -12pm, 12:30pm -2pm
- Speed Skating: Tentative Monday 2/7, 9am-11:30am
- Nordic & Alpine: Nordic Ski is tentatively scheduled for 2/7 and Alpine is tentatively scheduled for 2/8- these dates are based on snow and staffing at Hermon
- Snowshoe: 25M, 50M, 100M (choose up to two races)
- Alpine: Slalom (please indicate athlete Level: 1-Beginner, 2-Novice, 3-Intermediate, 4-Advanced, Qualifying score not required for this event)
- Nordic: 100M, 500M, 1K (choose up to two)
- Speedskating: Choose two of the shorter races: 25M, 25M Sit Skate, 50M, 50M Sit Skate or Choose up to three of the longer races: 100M, 300M, 500M, 1000M
Qualifying scores are required.
Please note that the safety of all involved is our priority. Please read the below information in its entirety and contact us with any questions.
Instructions and links to all online forms are below and will also be available on the somaine.org calendar of events.
Return to Play Protocols:
As of 8/17/21,we are no longer using “‘phases” of return to play. We are now basing return to play on community covid rates and risk categories. Return to Play information can be found on somaine.org under Resources or by clicking here:
It is very important that if you are holding practices and planning to attend an event, that these protocols are understood and followed and that you are aware of which risk category the county is in.
Use this link to check the 7-Day Rolling Average Case Rate for our counties here: (scroll down to the US map and hover over Maine or type in the county in the search bar.) https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/
Requirements for Participation in the PPH Area Winter Games:
Teams must complete the following:
- Step 1: Complete PPH Area Winter Games HOD Registration Form by 1/17/22
- Step 2: Complete PPH Area Winter Games Athlete Registration Form by 1/17/22
- Step 3: Read through Special Olympics Maine’s Return to Play Guidelines & Protocols
- Step 4: Complete ALL required forms below for Athletes, Coaches, Volunteers & Partners prior to the event if you have not already done so previously.
- 1) COVID-19 Participant Code of Conduct & Risk Assessment Form (ALL) Submit online by clicking here or click here to download to complete
- 2) COVID-19 Waiver (ALL) Submit online here or click here to download to complete
- 3) Medical (Athletes Only)
- 4) Volunteer A/Unified Partner (Coaches, Volunteers, Partners Only)
- 5) COVID-19 Point of Contact/Response Person (Typically the HOD or Head Coach that will be present during the event)
- 6) COVID 19 Supplemental Form (ALL) At this time, this information is just for planning purposes, not for qualification for Special Olympics Maine events. Submit online by clicking here or click here to download to complete
Scan To: MikeL@somaine.org Fax To: 1-888-490-0672
Mail To: Special Olympics Maine, 525 Main Street Unit D, South Portland, ME 04106
Important Information for Participants:
If Penobscot County (the host county) remains in the significant risk category of >15 covid cases per 100,000 (Penobscot is currently >90) and participants have less than an 80% vaccination rate, the following will apply during training and competition:
- Indoor gathering of 50 participants or less at a time.
- Activities at Hermon Mountain are outside and participants will be asked to remain outside for the duration. Please dress appropriately.
- Participants may use the lodge for bathroom facilities, brief warming and storage of belongings.
- Everyone (athletes, coaches, volunteers, staff) MUST wear a mask upon arrival, departure, and anytime they are not actively competing in a race. Individuals should bring their own mask.
- Be sure to use hand sanitizer throughout the event.
- Maintain social distance.
- Spectators are not permitted (unless an athlete requires additional assistance from a caregiver that can’t be accommodated by a coach/volunteer.)
- Written confirmation of no symptoms for all participants & recommended onsite temperature checks. Click here for a screening & tracking template This screening form will be collected at the entrance. It is recommended teams complete it prior to traveling to the event.
- Education on symptoms and reminders to stay home if sick or any symptoms. No participation within 10 days of COVID positive test and 7 days of any symptoms.
- If an athlete has recovered from COVID-19 a doctor’s note with clearance for return to physical activity should be obtained.
- We will not be asking for vaccination status as part of our event registration process, however given the importance of this information for event planning and R2P, Special Olympics has created an app where all participants can enter this information one time. We encourage those who are participating in activities to complete the Covid-19 Supplemental Form (see #6 above)
- Given the current R2P protocols, there will not be opening or closing ceremonies. Ribbons will be provided on site for Speed Skate, Nordic and Alpine. Ribbons for Snowshoe will be mailed.
- There will be no banquet or overnight accommodations at the Black Bear Inn.
- When you see staff at Hermon or Sawyer, be sure to thank them for hosting us!
Let us know if you have any questions, we so very much look forward to being together in person again!
Area Co-Manager & Area Games Management System Coordinator
Special Olympics Maine:
Penobscot, Piscataquis & Hancock Counties