Cumberland County Track & Field Meet
April 26, 2019 –
Special Olympics Cumberland County Area Track and Field Meet 2019
When: Friday April 26, 2019 (Rain date May 3)
Where: Bonny Eagle Athletic Facilities, Standish, Maine
Medical: Coaches must have submitted to the state office and bring medical and release forms day of event for athletes to participate. You will be asked to sign an acknowledgement that you in fact have them with you. Athlete releases are good for life and medicals are good for 3 years from date of physician’s signature. If you need blanks they can be obtained through the state office of Special Olympics Maine at 125 John Roberts Road South Portland 04106 tel # 879-0489 or on the State Special Olympic Website
Coaches: You should all have filled out the Class A volunteer form and taken the behaviors training online. More info contact Ian Frank at state office 879-0489
Again this year: We will be presenting place ribbons as opposed to participation ribbons as mandated by Special Olympics rules. Award areas for presentation of ribbons immediately after all running events can be found on attached map. Ribbons for all field events will be mailed out after the event. It is extremely important that all athletes run in their assigned heats there will be no changing of heats allowed. Please help out by making everyone involved with your teams aware of this
- Track events take precedence over field events. Athletes can always make up field events because of time conflicts with running events.
- No pacing allowed athlete will be disqualified
- Athletes participating in the 10M Assisted walk and/or the 25M walk may not participate in any running events. These two events are for Athletes with limited motor skills.
- Athletes may participate in a maximum of 3 events plus a relay.
- When signing up athletes for running long jump please be aware that it is a foul to step over line and attempt will not count.
- Athletes participating in Walks will be Disqualified if they run.
Parade/ Opening Ceremonies: Begin at 9:20 Teams please line up at end of track near registration (bring posters identifying teams if you have some)
Day of Event: ONE PERSON FROM EACH TEAM SHOULD Sign in beginning at 8:15 am we will be set up near the end of track as marked on enclosed map. When you arrive you will receive a packet containing a letter, names tag for athletes (already filled out), name tags for coaches and chaperones, additional copies of map (please copy and make maps available to all coaches and people who will be bringing athletes ahead of their arrival) and a copy of your registration.
AGAIN THIS YEAR- Athletes will be lining up in staging tents not at starting lines (see map)
There will be concessions available for athletes, families, and coaches to buy snacks, lunch items, and drinks. There will be an activity area for athletes to help pass the time between events.
We are selling Event Shirts this year -- they are not dated (so timeless!) There will be a limited selection at the games but you can sign up here to have your size and order ready for easy pick up!
PLEASE Remember that this event is for our athletes and being flexible is the key to have it be successful for everyone; many people are volunteering their time and energy. Please feel free to contact Meredith Verrill @ MVerrill@bonnyeagle.org if you have any questions about the facilities or events.
NEW: This year you may sign up online or by paper sign ups
If you do online sign ups you do not need to send a printed copy
Registration Deadline: Friday April 5, 2019 is the final deadline for registering. We would appreciate it greatly if at all possible you send me your registrations early as there is a lot of prep work involved in setting this up.
Mail Registration to:
9 Waterhouse Road
Gorham, ME 04038
Questions more info call Claire at 839-4588 (home) or 232-1297 (cell)
Directions: we are asking that everyone who can car pool please do!
Please give to bus drivers and all others transporting athletes
There are two drop off points for Special Olympics Athletes this year -
- Bonny Eagle Middle School - FRONT LOOP - 92 Sokokis Trail - Buxton (Please use this for students who are more ambulatory and are able to walk a short distance)
- Bonny Eagle High School - Loop - 700 Saco Road - Standish - This is a paved flat area that will allow easy access to the track areas and wheelchairs to be unloaded quickly and safely.
Buses will park at the Bus Garage which is accessible to the track area by a short walk. Additional parking will be available at the Free Will Baptist church about a mile from the facilities with a shuttle available from 9:30-10:30 and again from 12:15-1:15Please take bus drivers phone numbers to aid in communication.
For more information contact Cumberland County Area Manager
- 10:00 am – 12:30 pm, June 27, 2019 – Tennis Coach's Training School
- N/A, August 2, 2019 – August 3, 2019 – Summer Coach's College
- N/A, August 8, 2019 – Tee it Up with an Athlete
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm, August 9, 2019 – Somerset County Area Motor Activities Training
- 8:30 am – 2:00 pm, August 24, 2019 – Golf Individual Skills Contest
- 11:00 am – 3:00 pm, September 5, 2019 – Golf Unified 9 Hole Competition
- 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm, September 21, 2019 – Golf Individual 9-Hole Competition
- 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm, January 1, 2020 – Lobster Dip
- 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm, January 1, 2021 – Lobster Dip
- 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm, January 1, 2022 – Lobster Dip