It is with great excitement that Special Olympics Maine is introducing a new event to help support our athletes in our many communities across the state: The 1st Annual Special Olympics Maine Virtual Fishing Derby!
From September 1st through September 30th anglers will have the opportunity to compete in a month-long VIRTUAL FISHING DERBY across Maine! By registering for this tournament, you can enter an unlimited amount of Large/Smallmouth Bass submissions throughout the month – the top 3 largest (in total length) Large/Smallmouth bass win! We expect the leaderboard to change daily, so get out there and start reeling them in!
Top 3 Prizes:
Grand Prize –
Humminbird Helix 7 Fishfinder (Value $800)
(Donated by Main Street Grocery, Damariscotta)
2nd Place –
Custom Saltwater Charter: Fishing or Sightseeing Custom Cruise presented by Mainetain Charters (Value $500+)
(Donated by Mainetain Charters that departs from East Boothbay!)
Click Here for just some of what Mainetain Charters has to Offer!
3rd Place –
$250 Gift Card to Kittery Trading Post
(Donated by Kittery Trading Post)
How to Register:
– Registered Anglers must be age 16 (or older) and hold a current 2020 Maine State Fishing License
– Download “FishDonkey” app on your smartphone (Apple or Android)
Click Here to Visit FishDonkey’s Website
– Search and Select “Special Olympics Maine Virtual Fishing Derby”
– Create Registrant Profile
– All registration fees MUST be paid via the FishDonkey app
How to Enter a Fish
- All photos must be taken through the FishDonkey app and measurement must be on a valid measuring board.
- Fish should be recorded immediately and measurement noted by length.
- All submissions must include at least two photographs: 1) A pic of you holding the fish 2) A pic of the fish on the measuring board.
- Video is encouraged! Get social with other anglers by showing your healthy release video of the fish going back into the water. These healthy releases help protect our fisheries here in Maine for generations to come!
- Close the fish’s mouth. The nose should touch the bump of the measuring board (the belly is facing you). The measurement photo needs to include the entire fish on the board.
- If the fish tail is touching the graduation line on the board then that is the exact measurement. If the tail crosses the graduation line, round up ¼”.
- All participants must have their fish submitted before the end of the tournament.
- ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED BY 9 PM ON SEPTEMBER 30th!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW TO PROPERLY ENTER A FISH INTO THE DERBY!
All measuring devices must be commercially made. You are required to have a board with a 90-degree bend which marks 0, and at least ¼” lines. No handmade measuring boards, stickers, or tape measures allowed. Sliding, retractable, or foldable measuring devices are allowed. If your measurement is not clearly readable in your submission photo, it may not be accepted.
FishDonkey in Poor Reception Areas? Don’t Worry!
The app will work without internet. Open the app before heading out to poorly covered areas. Tap on the name of the tourney. Once you see the button ‘Enter a Fish’, head out and fish away. Fish should be entered as normal in bad reception areas. Your Digital Livewell® (fish icon) will show you if there are fish waiting for an internet connection to get pushed into the leaderboard. When you get back to a well-connected area, open your Digital Livewell® and leave that screen open/active until all fish are “Received”. (If your pictures are missing from the leaderboard, this is what you need to do.) Until your pictures are received, do not delete or alter the photos on your phone, as the software will not accept your photos as originals.
– Participants must be 16 years or older
– You must hold a Maine Fishing License
– All Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife rules and regulations apply
– Please read all rules and regulations under our derby in the FishDonkey App
– As a registrant of the 2020 Virtual Fishing Derby, you will adhere to all rules and regulations set forth by Special Olympics Maine
But wait, there’s more!
Special Olympics Maine will also be running an online raffle for fishing, outdoor, adventure equipment and sports memorabilia throughout the month of September! Be sure to check back on the first of the month to find the link to our online raffle! (Hint; click on the images to check out some of the businesses who have made this online raffle possible)
CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR MONTH LONG DERBY RAFFLE!!