33rd Annual Lobster Dip & Lobster Roll to benefit
Special Olympics Maine
New Year’s Day – January 1st, 2021
Virtually or in-person at Old Orchard Beach in front of The Brunswick (39 West Grand Ave)
In 1988 members of the Portland Rugby Club organized the first Lobster Dip under the leadership of Head Lobster Rocky Frenzelli. In 2020, Dippers raised over $100,000 dollars for our statewide, year-round program of sports training and athletic competitions for the more than 5,109 athletes with intellectual disabilities we serve across the state!
We don’t know about you but 2020 has been the year we want to forget?! Due to the pandemic, most Special Olympics Maine programs (competitions & fundraiser alike) have been suspended and too many Special Olympics athletes remain on the sidelines. But even though athletes are not on the field, Special Olympics Maine continues to engage participants through virtual activities that focus on physical fitness, healthy habits and mental health while also providing a social platform where athletes, unified partners, coaches and volunteers can stay connected.
And with so much lost and so many questions still to be answered going into 2021 – we need your support now more than ever!
So, it won’t be the same but please help us let’s kick out 2020 and kick off 2021 with bang by participating in our 33rd annual Lobster Dip & Lobster Roll (virtual) and raise some much needed funds to keep Special Olympics Maine athletes active, engaged and well!
We thank all of you who have stayed with us and with Maine’s “ORIGINAL” Dip throughout the years and welcome anyone new who would like to “take the dip & roll!”
2 Ways to Participate:
1. Lobster Roll (our recommended virtual option) – New this year due to COVID 19, participants can choose to participate virtually. Simply wait for New Year’s Day (or after) and the snow to fall, get into your “Dip Outfit” and take a roll in the snow!! Make sure to grab videos and share! #LobsterRollforSOMaine. Additional incentive for Lobster Roll participation – all Lobster Roll participants will be in a drawing to win 1 of 3 $100 MasterCard gift cards!
2. Lobster Dip (in-person) – take the dip on New Year’s Day as an individual or form a team (5 or more dippers). Due to COVID 19, Special Olympics Maine will follow all CDC guidelines and abide by state gathering protocol. Each dipper will be assigned a specific check-in and dip time session to take the dip (time sessions will be assigned 1-2 weeks prior to Lobster Dip).
Each Dippers & Rollers must raise a minimum of $100. Those who do, and register properly, will receive the official 2021 commemorative Lobster Dip t-shirt!
Here’s How to Register:
All Dippers & Rollers must pre-register through Panorama and setup a personal fundraising page. Unlike past years, due to COVID 19 Special Olympics Maine will not be able to allow any dipper to participate that is not pre-registered through Panorama. Choose from the options below to register:
Incentives & Prizes
In addition to the Lobster Dip t-shirt, any dipper who raises the following receives a… (view all incentive items here)
- Individual Incentives – additional incentives for those that raise over $250, $500 & $1,000. Click here to see the official 2021 Lobster Dip incentives.
- Top Lobster – top INDIVIDUAL participant (Dipper or Roller) raising the most money over $1,000: $250 MasterCard Gift Card
- Top Lobster Drawing – Dippers & Rollers raising over $1,000 will go into a drawing for a $100 MasterCard Gift Card+
- Lobster Roll Drawing – all Lobster Roll participants will be in a special drawing to win 1 of 3 $100 MasterCard gift cards!
- Top Lobster Pot – Team of 5 or more dippers who raise the most money over $2,500: 50 Live Lobsters*
- Top Lobster Pot Drawing – Teams of 5 or more dippers who raise over $2,500 will go into a drawing for 25 Liver Lobsters* +
- Top Lobster Pot/per Team Member – Team of 5 or more dippers who raise the most money on average per team member: 25 Live Lobsters*
*Prize to be claimed between July – August 2021
+Top Lobster & Lobster Pot team are not eligible for drawing.
Here’s How to Support:
Don’t want to dip or roll but still want to support? Donate Today to support the event, an individual dipper or a team by clicking the donate button.
Let your family, friends, co-workers and your entire network know you are taking the Dip or Roll on your social media. Choose from the Lobster Dip icons below and link them to your personal, or team, Pandora site to help us promote the event, support your fundraising efforts, and help recruit team members. Use the hashtags #SpecialOlympicsMaine, #LobsterDip2021, #LobsterRollforSpecialOlympicsMaine.
Check-in the Day of the Dip (Lobster Dippers ONLY)
All properly registered dippers participating in the Lobster Dip must check-in outside at the Brunswick in Old Orchard Beach (39 West Grand Ave) prior to participating in the Lobster Dip. The Dip will be entirely outside this year (The Brunswick will be open). Prior to the event, Dippers will be assigned a specific timeframe to check-in & and take the Dip. Upon arrival, all dippers will:
- Go through Special Olympics Maine COVID 19 screening protocol – Special Olympics will ask each dipper 4 questions (see below) & perform onsite temperature check. Special Olympics Maine asks all dippers to stay at home if answering yes to any of the questions below or have a temperature of 100.4°F/37.8°C or higher.
- In the last 14 days, have you had contact with someone who has been sick with COVID-19?
- Have you had a fever in the last week (temperature of 100.4°F/37.8°C or higher)?
- Do you have a cough and/or difficulty breathing?
- Do you have any other signs or symptoms of COVID-19 (fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea)?
- Check in & Turn in any cash/check donations collected
- Receive information on obtaining incentives.
- Take the Dip. There will be no changing areas, however The Brunswick will be open for business per CDC guidelines & gathering limitations.
- The Lobster Dip will be entirely outside and will adhere to COVID 19 CDC safety protocol and guidelines. Again, The Brunswick will be open for business operating under their own guidelines.
- Plan to arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to assigned check-in time you’re your session. Check-in time/sessions will be pre-assigned prior to the dip
- Bring (beach shoes/old sneakers, etc.) to wear into the water, and a towel/blanket/robe for when you come out and clothes to change into in your vehicle –no changing areas.