- Option 1 – 10 yard Assisted Swim: Each Athlete is responsible for having his/her own coach/assistant. The assistant may touch, guide or direct the athlete, but may not support or assist the athlete’s forward movement. The athlete may use flotation (see flotation specifications under general rules). The assistant may be in the pool or on deck.
- Option 2 – 15 yard Flotation & 25 yard Flotation Races: Each athlete is responsible for his/her own flotation (IMPORTANT – see specifications for flotation under general rules). These races do not allow physical assistance by coaches, etc., once the race has begun. However, coaches may assist athletes to hold their position at the start line, prior to the start of the race. Flotation Races – Athletes are responsible for his/her own flotation, which must be a life jacket or swim belt that is Coast Guard Approved. Flotation devices such as noodles, kick boards, inner-tubes or floats that wrap around arms are not acceptable.
- Option 3 – 15 yard Unassisted Swim: Athletes must swim the entire distance with no assistance & no flotation device. Coaches may offer encouragement and direction to athletes from outside the pool, only. This event is basically a 15 yard Freestyle.
- Option 4 – All other events: General Rules Overall
- There will be limitations for diving starts and use of starting blocks, dependent upon the depth of the pool at the start line.
- Standing on the bottom during freestyle events WILL NOT disqualify an athlete, but he/she may not walk or jump. Standing on the bottom of the racing course is allowed only for the purpose of resting. Walking and/or jumping will result in disqualification.
- A coach may guide by voice only. A coach may not touch the athlete from the time the race starts until the athlete has completed the race.
- A coach may help an athlete maintain their position at the starting line.
- No competitor will be permitted to use or wear any device that will aid in speed (webbed gloves, fins, flippers, etc). Goggles may be worn.
- 8:45am – 12:30 PM Team Registration/Drops – Tarbell Pool Lobby
- 9:15am Opening Ceremonies
- 9:30am Competition (21 years old & under)
- 11:30am Fundamental events (event options 1-3)
- 1:30pm – Competition (22 years old & over)
- Friday March 24th, 2017 at Cape Elizabeth High School in Cape Elizabeth from 12-3pm. Click here to register for the Cape Elizabeth Swim Coach’s Training School
- Saturday March 25th, 2017 at Lura Hoyt Pool in Hampden from 8:30am- 12pm. Click here to register for the Lura Hoyt Pool Swim Coach’s Training School
Medicals & Consent Forms: ALL Athletes must have current medical & consent forms on file at Special Olympics Maine’s State Office. It is your responsibility to insure that these (2) (current/completed) forms are on file here at our office, for every athlete you plan to bring to the games. If we already have a medical on file for an athlete and it is less than three years old, you don’t need a new one, unless there has been a significant physical/medical change in one of your athletes. You may email Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org to check on medicals in your file. We recommend that you make two copies of each medical/release form – keep one file of all medicals in a safe place and have a file with all your athletes’ medicals that travels with you to events. Blank Medical and Consent Forms can be downloaded by going to our website: www.somaine.org/sports/athlete-resources/.
- 2017 Swimming HOD – completed by the Head of Delegation (HOD – person responsible for your team). Be sure to list all additional coaches/chaperones attending the games.
- SOMaine Swimming Athlete Registration – complete this form for athlete registration
- SOMaine Swimming 4x25M Registration – complete this form if your delegation has a 4x25yrd Relay Team
- Don’t miss the deadline (February March 29th, 2017).
- If you need to make additional copies of any of the registration forms, remember to download, complete the appropriate form and “SAVE AS” and give the file a name. From there you can open the original document again and add the additional registration information to the form and saving once you are complete. Repeat these steps until your entire Delegation is properly registered.
- We are requesting Delegations send their entire registration forms via Scan/Email or Fax
- Scan/Email to Ian at IanF@somaine.org
- the FAX number is 1-888-490-0672
- If you cannot email/fax please mail to: SOME – Attn: Ian, 125 John Roberts Rd #5, S. Portland ME 04106