Law Enforcement Torch Run®
The Law Enforcement Torch Run® for Special Olympics is the movement's largest grass-roots fundraiser and public awareness vehicle, At its most basic level the Torch Run is an actual running event, in which officers and athletes run the Flame of Hope™ to the Opening Ceremonies of local Special Olympics competitions and State and National Games. Annually, more than 85,000 dedicated, compassionate and volunteer law enforcement officers participate in the torch run throughout 35 nations, 12 Canadian provinces and 50 US states, raising over $500 Million since its inception in 1981.
The man behind the first Torch Run in 1981 was Wichita, Kansas Police Chief Richard LaMunyon. He conceived the Torch Run as a way to involve local law enforcement personnel in the community and to support Special Olympics. The Torch Run was quickly adopted by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) now recognized as the founding law enforcement organization for the Law Enforcement Torch Run® for Special Olympics.
Today, the Torch Run is more than just a run and encompasses a variety of fundraising vehicles such as T-shirt and merchandise sales, special events to include polar bear plunges, tip-a-cop and building sits and a host of other events that have local, state and national appeal. For athletes and officers alike, the Law Enforcement Torch Run® for Special Olympics is a story of success, love, respect and commitment between law enforcement officers and Special Olympics athletes.
In Maine there are over 700 members of Law Enforcement who participate in the Torch Run.
For more information on the Maine LETR please contact:
Law Enforcement Torch Run Director
Liaison Law Enforcement Torch Run Director
207-879-0489 x 16
Maine State Law Enforcement Torch Run Links
- LETR solicitation permission
- LETR business donors
- LETR FirstGiving Page (online fundraising)
- LETR TORCH RUN END OF YEAR TALLY SHEET
- Harley Raffle - Click here to request LETR Harley Raffle Ticket Request for 2019
- Adopt A Mile
- 2019 MAINE LAW ENFORCEMENT TORCH RUN
- LETR Press
- LETR Runner Registration - New this year there are three ways to register:
- Click here for the Individual Runner Registration Paper Form (download, complete & submit to SOMaine)
- NEW - Click here for the Online Individual Runner Registration Form (electronic registration)
- NEW - Click here for the Online Agency Runner Registration Form (electronic registration for entire agency)
- LETR runner shirt sponsor request letter
- Tip-A-Cop - LETR tip-a-cop flyer
- Summer Games - Click here to register for the LETR Summer Games
- International LETR Conference - Click here to apply to attend the International LETR Conference