“Back to the Beach”
New Year’s Day – January 1st, 2022
Old Orchard Beach – in front of The Brunswick
Special Olympics Maine is inviting you back to the beach and to take the “Lobster Dip” for a great cause. Since 1988, Lobster Dippers have come together for a fun event and to raise much need funds for Special Olympics Maine. 2021 has been a trying year for most, including Special Olympics Maine and your support is needed to kick-off 2022 now, more than ever!
We thank all of you who have stayed with us and with Maine’s “ORIGINAL” Dip throughout the years and welcome anyone new who would like to “take the dip”!
How to Participate:
Each participant must register in advance and fundraise a minimum of $100. Those who do, will receive the official 2022 commemorative Lobster Dip t-shirt! Participate as an individual or form a team (5+ participants)! Additional incentives will apply for additional funds raised—ALSO grand prizes for top fundraiser & top team!
Choose your option to participate below:
- Lobster Dip – take the “Dip” in-person on January 1st at The Brunswick. *CDC guidelines and state gathering protocols will be adhered to*
- Virtually Lobster Dip or Lobster Roll (roll in the snow) – For those that prefer not to gather on January 1st, individuals will have the option to take the “Dip” or “Roll” elsewhere (choice of location, at their own risk) on or before January 1st.
How to Register:
IMPORTANT CHANGES THIS YEAR
Choose your Wave – To help with social distancing and gathering size, we will offer a Lobster Dip every 15 minutes with the first dip scheduled at 10am and the last dip at 12pm. Participants must choose a Wave time from the options below (waves will fill up quickly so secure your wave today).Please keep in mind that we are offering a virtual option. If you no longer plan to attend in-person please let us know by choosing the Virtual Dip option.
Check-In/Pre-Registration: Each participant must Check-In on, or before, January 1st to be considered a properly registered Dipper. To help with social distancing and crowd control the day of the dip, Special Olympics Maine highly encourages participants to Check-In in advance.
- Check-In in Advance @ Special Olympics Maine’s office in South Portland (NEW LOCATION – 525 Main St Unit D, South Portland)
- Wednesday December 29th 7am-5pm @ Special Olympics Maine
- Thursday December 30th 9am-6pm @ Special Olympics Maine
- Friday December 31st from 9am-5pm @ Special Olympics Maine
- Check-in Day of the Lobster Dip on the beach in front of The Brunswick (39 W Grand Ave, Old Orchard Beach).
- Saturday January 1st from 9:30-11:45am outside The Brunswick.
At Lobster Dip Check-In participants will receive their commemorative Lobster Dip T-shirt, receive Dip credentials (required to take the Dip the day of), select a Wave time (if not already selected) and turn in any cash/check donations that was collected. All in-person participants will be required to complete Special Olympics Maine’s Communicable Disease Waiver. Please print, complete and be prepared to turn in at Check-in.
Day of the Lobster Dip – January 1st
Any participant experiencing symptoms of COVID or feeling ill should remain home and participate virtually when the time is right.
Starting at 10am, Special Olympics Maine will release dippers based off of Wave time selections. Each wave time will consist of registered participants in groups of 50 or less every 15 minutes. Please plan to arrive at Check-in the day of no earlier than 15 mins prior to your registered Wave time. After each Wave, dippers will be asked to leave the beach immediately to prepare for the next Wave of dippers and spectators.
Participants without a Wave time are recommended to arrive at the beach no later than 11am to assure you have a designated time to dip.
This will be an entirely outdoor event (no changing areas provided on the beach) and current CDC guidelines (social distancing, strongly recommended mask wearing etc.) will be enforced. Any participant experiencing symptoms of COVID or feeling ill should remain home and participate virtually when the time is right.
Incentives & Prizes
Any dipper who raises the following receives a… (view all incentive items here)
- $100-$249: Commemorative 2022 Lobster Dip T-shirt
- $250-$499: ¼ Zip or Hoodie
- $500-$999: Quilted Jacket (male) & Soft shell jacket (female)
- $1,000 or more: Ultralight Down Jacket
- Top Lobster – top INDIVIDUAL participant (Dipper or Roller) raising the most money over $1,000: 25 Liver Lobsters*
- Top Lobster Pot – Team of 5 or more dippers who raise the most money over $2,500: 50 Live Lobsters*
*Prize to be claimed between July – August 2022
How to Support:
Don’t want to take the dip but still want to support? Donate Today – support an individual dipper, a team or the event!
Share your fundraising page and let your family, friends, co-workers and your entire network know you are taking the Lobster Dip on your social media. Download one of our Lobster Dip icons below and link them to your personal, or team, Panorama site to help us promote the event, support your fundraising efforts, and help recruit team members.
#LobsterDip2022 #BackToTheBeach #SpecialOlympicsMaine
- The Lobster Dip will be entirely outside and will adhere to COVID 19 CDC safety protocol and guidelines. Masks are encouraged to be worn (except when dipping)
- Bring (beach shoes/old sneakers, etc.) to wear into the water, and a towel/blanket/robe for when you come out and clothes to change into in your vehicle –no changing areas are provided.
- Please stay home if you feel sick.